SERVICES & PROGRAMS AT MISSOULA BONE & JOINT
Orthopedic Clinic, Urgent Care, Physical Therapy, Surgery Center
At Missoula Bone & Joint (MBJ) in Missoula, Montana, we provide comprehensive and convenient orthopedic services and programs to serve all your orthopedic needs. Our board certified orthopedic surgeons offer specialized care in many areas including sports medicine, joint replacement, hand and microvascular surgery, foot and ankle surgery, spine care, fracture care and general orthopedics. We also have a primary care sports medicine physician that provides nonsurgical orthopedic care for all types of injuries and comprehensive sports physicals.
To schedule an appointment call (406) 721-4436 or use our online appointment request form.
Whether you need urgent care for an acute orthopedic injury or physical therapy for a chronic condition and rehabilitation, we’re here for you! Our goal is to get you back to doing what you love to do.
To make your life easier, you’ll find a broad range of orthopedic services all under one roof here at MBJ, including outpatient surgery, diagnostic imaging such as X-ray, and MRI. Plus, we offer durable medical equipment, such as braces, boots, slings, that you can take home right from your appointment.
We also provide athletic training services for 16 area high schools and local sporting events and tournaments.
Click the links below to learn more:
- Athletic Training Outreach Program
- In-house Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Urgent Care Clinic
- Outpatient Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC)
- TeleHealth Appointments
At Missoula Bone & Joint we offer comprehensive orthopedic services, Walk-In Urgent Care orthopedic services, an Outpatient Surgery Center, Physical Therapy, on-site MRI, Digital X-ray and DME services.
During your visit x-rays may be required to accurately diagnose your condition. Our X-ray Department is conveniently located at the center of the clinic.
Missoula Bone & Joint utilizes Digital Radiography (DR) to provide immediate image acquisition, which allows us to work fast and accurately to minimize your wait time. These high quality digital x-rays will be reviewed with you, by your provider, during your appointment.
We understand that it is never a good time to be injured. Our friendly and experienced staff will work with you to make you feel comfortable during your exam while.
Requesting a CD of your images:
If you need to request a CD of your images, please complete the release form below and call the X-ray Department directly at (406) 721-0327.
"Our mission is to provide professional MRI services with compassionate clinical care and excellence."
Missoula Bone & Joint has a full-body 1.5 Tesla MR scanner from GE Optima MR360. This high performance system is located just down the hall from the exam rooms, making this a convenient part of your evaluation.
The Optima MR360 has a short tunnel which allows for more versatility when scanning. When doing lower extremity exams, this type of MRI system allows patients to lie with their head in the space outside of the MRI machine. MRI is a painless procedure that simply requires that patients remain still while the images are taken.
The Optima MR360 is also equipped with the Genesis Ultra Music System, meaning there is a complete AM/FM stereo, CD player and an iPod interface. Please feel free to bring your own music so that it can be hooked up to our Genesis Ultra Music System outside of the MR room. MBJ MR Imaging will supply the disposable MRI specific MagnaPlug Ear Plugs.
While the MRI procedure itself causes no pain, having to lie still for the length of the procedure might cause some discomfort or pain, particularly in the case of a recent injury or invasive procedure such as surgery. The technologist will use all possible comfort measures and complete the procedure as quickly as possible to minimize any discomfort or pain.
Generally, MRI of the bones, joints, or soft tissue follows this process:
- There is no special restriction on diet or activity prior to an MRI procedure.
- You will be asked to remove any clothing, jewelry, eyeglasses, hearing aids, hairpins, removable dental work, or other objects that may interfere with the procedure.
- If you are asked to remove clothing, you will be given a gown to wear.
- If you are to have a procedure done with contrast, an intravenous (IV) line will be started in the hand or arm for injection of the contrast dye.
- You will lie on a scan table that slides into a large circular opening of the scanning machine. Pillows and straps may be used to prevent movement during the procedure.
- A surface coil may be placed over the area to be examined if it is a relatively small area, such as a joint.
- You will be given earplugs or a headset to wear to help block out the noise from the scanner.
- It will be important for you to remain very still during the examination, as any movement could cause distortion and affect the quality of the scan.
- Be prepared to be in the MRI scanner for at least 30 minutes.
- The technologist will be in another room where the scanner controls are located. However, you will be in constant sight of the technologist through a window. Speakers inside the scanner will enable the technologist to communicate with and hear you. You will have a call button so that you can let the technologist know if you have any problems during the procedure. The technologist will be watching you at all times and will be in constant communication.
- During the scanning process, a clicking noise will sound as the magnetic field is created and pulses of radio waves are sent from the scanner.
- Once the scan has been completed, the table will slide out of the scanner and you will be assisted off the table.
- If an IV line was inserted for contrast administration, the line will be removed.
Your MRI results are read and diagnosed by both Missoula Radiology and your orthopedic surgeon. With your busy schedule in mind, MRI results are usually available within one to two business days.
As a facility accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Magnetic Resonance Laboratories (IACMRI), MBJ MR Imaging holds the same commitment to compassion, skill, and knowledge that makes Missoula Bone & Joint a preferred orthopedic practice in the Missoula area.
Providing quality patient care is not only a priority at Missoula Bone & Joint, it is part of our mission as an orthopedic group. All diagnostic imaging performed at MBJ MR Imaging allows the highest quality MRIs to be completed in a familiar and welcoming environment.
The Federal Government (Patient Protection and Affordable Healthcare Act, Sections 6409 and 6003 dated March 23, 2010) mandates we provide information on facilities other than those owned by our physicians. You have the right to choose your facility. If you would like to receive services at another facility we will be happy to provide you with a referral. Here is a list of facilities:
Before Your MRI Appointment
Your answers to the questions on the MRI Metal Screening will help us determine whether an MRI examination is safe for you based on your history. In addition, we need to determine whether there are any factors that may interfere with your study or may cause difficulty with the scan results.
To save time at your MRI appointment, please fill out this MRI Patient History Form, Print Out and Bring With You to your MRI appointment.
If your procedure involves the use of contrast dye, you will be asked to sign a consent form that gives permission to do the procedure. Read the form carefully and ask questions if something is not clear.
Durable medical equipment (DME) means any boots, slings, or braces used to immobilize a joint (prevent it from moving) or provide functional support while the joint is moving. We have DME for every body part, from the toes to the neck.
We stock all products ordered by our providers for our patients. Having these products on site is not only convenient from an access standpoint, but you also learn how to fit and care for your DME as well. Our DME coordinator is a Certified Fitter of Orthotics (CFO) and is trained on how to properly fit you for any DME product that your MBJ physician may prescribe.
We specialize in functional ACL and osteoarthritis bracing. We will meet with you, discuss the brace you will need, take measurements, preauthorize the brace with insurance, fit the brace, and schedule a follow-up check to make sure you get the best fit and function from your brace.
Now available at Missoula Bone & Joint are the knee Rollabout scooters complete with basket and bell. Ideal for patients with foot or ankle injuries that require non-weight bearing for a period of time. We also have crutches and walkers available.
If you are having difficulties with your crutches after surgery, or clinic visit, Missoula Bone & Joint offers crutch training and adjustments free of charge to our patients. Please call our DME department (406)721-4436 ext.5994
In fact, if you are having any difficulties with any brace, sling, boot, or something doesn't feel right with your DME product please don't delay, give us a call so we can help (406) 721-4436 ext. 5994
Our DME department also offers cold therapy sales or rentals for all knee and shoulder surgeries.
For an appointment with a provider at Missoula’s leading orthopedic practice, call Missoula Bone & Joint at (406) 721-4436 or request one online.