Brent Roster, MDFoot & Ankle Surgeon
Dr. Brent Roster is a fellowship trained, board certified, orthopedic surgeon who specializes in all conditions of the foot and ankle, including fracture care, minimally invasive bunion, big toe and hammer toe surgery, and complex foot or ankle reconstruction. He joined the team at Missoula Bone & Joint in 2015 after completing an additional year of specialized training in the treatment of foot and ankle conditions. He attended medical school at the State University of New York Upstate Medical University in Syracuse and completed his internship and residency at Oregon Health & Science University before completing his foot and ankle fellowship at the University of California – Davis/Reno Orthopaedic Clinic.
You’ve seen the signs in your foot and ankle: bruising, bones becoming misaligned, swelling, and severe pain, you’re having trouble walking or putting weight on it, or you heard a pop or snap when you injured it. Now what? This is where Dr. Roster comes in. He can examine the injury, taking x-rays if needed, and help you determine whether you’re experiencing an injury to tendons or ligaments, a re-occurring sprain, a fracture, or something more complicated. Your foot and ankle are made up of many delicate bones that interact with precision. When something isn’t right, it can have a big impact.
If you’re diagnosed with a fracture or another issue in your foot and ankle, the treatment may be as basic as ice and rest, maybe wearing a splint or cast. But when the situation isn’t quite that simple, Dr. Roster can help you move along through the next options, including surgical correction. Dr. Roster likes to work with his patients, explaining the treatment options and the journey to recovery.
Dr. Roster grew up in a small logging/farming town in Southern Oregon called Klamath Falls with Brooke, his twin sister. This taught him what it means to work hard and treat people well and with respect. He and his wife, Grace, are raising three active children: Willa, Malin, and Wade. They are involved with travel softball teams and enjoy exploring the great state of Montana in their RV. He likes spending as much time outside as possible: hunting, fishing, and camping.
Medical School: State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, 2009
Internship / Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2010-2014
Fellowship: University of California – Davis/Reno Orthopaedic Clinic, Foot & Ankle Fellowship, 2015
Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
State Licensed: Montana
Joined Practice: 2015
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Montana Medical Association
Leadership: Orthopedic Surgery Lead, St Patrick Hospital Trauma Committee, July 2017-Present.
DR. ROSTER’S TEAM
Kelly G. is the dedicated orthopedic assistant for Dr. Roster’s patients. Kelly G. works closely with Dr. Roster to make sure that each patient’s needs are met. If you have questions or concerns you can phone Kelly G. directly at (406) 543-1531.
Vince Keeney is a Physician Assistant, PA-C, who works closely with Dr. Roster in both surgery and the clinic. Vince also evaluates and treats patients who come to our Orthopedic Urgent Care.
PATIENT EDUCATION PRINTABLE HANDOUTS:
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY, MIS
A variety of foot and ankle problems, including big toe arthritis, bunions, and hammertoes, can be treated with minimally invasive surgery. This means a smaller incision, so the patient can expect faster healing. Dr. Brent Roster has experience in minimally invasive surgery. Schedule your appointment to see if you are a candidate, and learn about your treatment options.
TOTAL ANKLE JOINT REPLACEMENT
more information coming soon
FOOT AND ANKLE EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION SOURCE:
For more educational information on foot and ankle conditions, Dr. Roster recommends the American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Roster B, Michelier P, Giza E. Peroneal Tendon Disorders. CLin Sports Med. 2015 Oct;34(4):625-41.
- Roster B, Kreulen C, Giza E. Subtalar joint arthrodesis: Open and arthroscopic indications and surgical techniques. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 June;20(2):319-34
- Lundeen G, Roster B, Dunaway L. The Adult Cavus Deformity in Neuromuscular Disorders. In: Chapman M, James, M, editors. Chapman’s Comprehensive Orthopaedic Surgery. 4th edition. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. Publication Pending
- Jackson L, Roster B, Giza E. Revision Forefoot: Technique for Salvage after First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthroplasty. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Publication Pending
- Roster B, Giza G. Kreulen C. Radiographic Outcomes of Lisfranc Injuries Treated With a Suture Button Device. Publication in Progress.
- Roster B, Giza G. Kreulen C. Functional Outcomes of Lisfranc Injuries Treated With a Suture Button Device. Research in Progress.
- Roster B, DeHart M, Duwelius P, Mirza A. Frequency and treatment trends for periprosthetic fractures about total knee arthroplasty in the United States. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty
- Selected for Poster Presentation, 2014 AAOS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Selected for guided “Trauma Poster Tour”, 2014 AAOS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Baker A, Roster B, Mirza A. Percutaneous plating of the distal femur: Risk of injury to the perforating branches of the profunda femoris artery. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Orthopedic Trauma.
- Selected for Poster Presentation, 2012 Orthopedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- Clabeaux J, Ahmed S, Roster B, Damron T. Does the pre-operative medical consultation address osteoporosis in hip fractures? Manuscript submitted
REVIEW THIS PROVIDER