Michael Wright, MD
Dr. Wright is a fellowship-trained, board-certified sports medicine specialist with an interest and expertise in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, hip and knee. Dr. Wright specializes in ACL reconstruction, rotator cuff repair, meniscus surgery, shoulder instability, hip labrum surgery, patellar instability and articular cartilage procedures.
Medical School: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle WA 2007-2011
Internship: University of Vermont, Burlington VT, 2011-2012
Residency: University of Vermont, Burlington VT, 2012-2016
Fellowship: Sports Medicine – University of California – Los Angeles, UCLA, CA, 2016
State Licensed: Montana, California
Joined Practice: 2017
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons Board Certified
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Montana Orthopedics Society
Dr. Wright will be seeing patients in clinic and surgery at both Missoula Bone & Joint in Missoula, and St. Joseph Medical Clinic in Polson.
Watch this interview with Dr. Wright discussing how sports medicine is not just for athletes.
“Dr. Wright was attentive, knowledgeable and caring about my needs. He answered all my questions and didn’t act like he was rushed or hurried to get through my appointment. On the whole, I was very happy with my experience at Missoula Bone and Joint.” Jane M online review 2019
“Great Dr. excellent surgeon, I had shoulder surgery and he’s been very sympathetic and great at asking how the shoulder is doing. Willing to help in any way he can to help you through it. Thank you for all your help and keep up the great work.” Brian H online review July 2019
“I was referred to Dr. Wright to consult on a complicated knee injury a year ago. Other doctors were discouraging about my chances for full recovery, but Dr. Wright was willing to work with me. In our first meeting, he impressed me and my husband with his professionalism and courtesy. He took us through all the x-ray and MRI results, fully explained the challenges, and helped me by setting goals for my recovery. Things like degree of motion and percent of weight, in reasonable and not overwhelming chunks of 4-6 week periods between appointments. He made it clear that if I could not achieve a recovery that was satisfactory to me using time and PT, he ‘had my back’ and was qualified to help me surgically. That really filled me with confidence, and made me want to achieve all the goals he set out. We just had our one year follow up appointment, and I showed him I can now run a little without a brace and without pain, and I’m convinced I’ll make a full functional recovery as I get stronger and return to my previous fitness level. I cannot recommend Dr. Wright highly enough for his technical expertise, listening skills, and willingness to see me as an individual and not a statistic. He’s a wonderful physician and an asset to our community.” Kelly, online review July 2019
“Very knowledgeable and spent the time to answer all my questions.” Nov. 2018
“Dr. Wright is a top notch surgeon! Bed side manner is great and if he doesn’t think it is surgically needed to be fixed he will look at alternatives. A true asset to our community.” Brandy, August 2018
IN OUR COMMUNITY
Hobbies/Personal Interests: Hiking, backpacking, skiing, hunting, fishing, hanging out with my wife and three children.
Get to know your doc!
- What is your most interesting orthopedic experience? Taking care of the NBA Los Angeles Lakers during fellowship at UCLA was a phenomenal experience. Being able to meet the players and take care of their medical needs on a daily basis was an experience I will always cherish. The player’s level of athleticism on the court is remarkable, and it was fun to get a behind the scenes look at taking care of professional athletes.
- Dr. Wright is providing sports medicine coverage for Polson High School for the 2019/2020 school year.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Wright MP, Michelson JM. Easily Missed? Lisfranc Injuries. British Medical Journal. 347:1-38. No 7928. October 2013.
- Minehan KJ, Brown PD, Scheithauer BD, Wright MP, Krauss WE. Prognosis and Treatment of Spinal Cord Astrocytoma. Int. J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys. 1;73(3):727-33, March 2009.
- Wright MP, Gross T. The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats. Abstract. Journal of Investigative Medicine, Vol. 57(1),435, January 2009.
- Michelson JD, Wright MP, Blankstein M. Syndesmotic Ankle Fractures: A Systematic Review. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma, Vol.32(1):10-14, January 2018.
- Bartlett CS, Wright MP, Monier B, Lesiak A. Management of Gunshot Wounds. Encyclopedia of Trauma Care. Springer publishing, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA. 2015.
- Silverman A, Russell G, feat. Wright MP, Michelson JM. Sharing in Vermont: Committee a ‘conduit’ for goodwill. USA Today. November 27, 2012. 4A. Print
- Sutkoski M, Russell G, feat. Wright MP, Michelson JM. Helping Homeless Walk in the Winter. Burlington Free Press. November 22, 2012. 1B. Print
- Wright MP “Evaluation and Mangement of Hamstring Injuries in Athletes” Missoula Bone & Joint, Montana Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting, Big Sky, MT, January 2018
- Wright MP, Sai Davana B.S, James Chen MD, Andrew Jensen MD, Anthony D’Oro B.S, Frank Petrigliano MD “The Prevalence of Consecutive Procedures Among Patients with Both Shoulder and Cervical Spine Pathology” University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Orthopedic Surgery Sports Medicine Conference. June 28th, 2017
- Wright MP, Argentieri E, Sturnick D, Gardner-Morse M, Tourville T, Johnson RJ, DeSarno M, Slauterbeck J, Beynnon B. “Tibial Plateau Articular Cartilage Thickness Changes 4-5 years after ACL injury” University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, Department of Orthopedic Surgery Resident Research Day, June 17th, 2016.
- Wright MP, Gross TS. “The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats” Western Student Medical Research Forum, Carmel, CA, University of Washington School of Medicine, p.435. January 2009.
- Minehan KJ, Brown PD, Scheithauer BD, Wright MP, Krauss WE. Prognosis and Treatment of Spinal Cord Astrocytoma. American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. November 2007.
- Argentiere E, Sturnick D, DeSarno M, Gardner-Morse M, Tourville T, Wright MP, Slauterbeck J, Johnson R, Beynnon R. Within subject changes to tibial articular cartilage thickness 4-5 years post ACL-injury. Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Las Vagas, NV. March 2015.
- Wright MP, Poliachik SL, Bremner S, Ward S, Minamoto V, Gross TS. The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats. Medical Student Poster Session, Seattle, WA, University of Washington School of Medicine. November 17 2008.
- Wright MP, Teintze M, Wilkinson R, Brewer J, Driggers C. Using NGAL to Mimick the CD4 Binding Site on gp120. Undergraduate Scholars Program Poster Session. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, April 2006.