Michael Wright, MD, Shoulder, Hip, Knee Doctor
Shoulder, Hip and Knee
Dr. Wright is a fellowship-trained, board-certified sports medicine specialist with an interest and expertise in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, hip and knee. Dr. Wright specializes in ACL reconstruction, rotator cuff repair, meniscus knee surgery, shoulder instability, hip labrum surgery, patellar instability, articular cartilage procedures, and shoulder replacement surgery.
Shoulder, Hip, and Knee Surgeon in Missoula, Montana
Dr. Michael Wright is a fellowship-trained, board-certified sports medicine doctor with an interest and expertise in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, hip and knee. Dr. Wright specializes in ACL reconstruction, rotator cuff repair, meniscus knee surgery, shoulder instability, hip labrum surgery, patellar instability, articular cartilage procedures, and shoulder replacement surgery. Dr. Wright joined the Missoula Bone & Joint team in 2017, after completing his fellowship training in Sports Medicine at UCLA and working with the LA Lakers. The focus of his practice is joint preservation. Dr. Wright works with his patients to explore all treatment options including non-surgical solutions such as physical therapy, oral medications, home exercise programs and injections. If surgery is necessary, he can perform a variety of open and arthroscopic surgeries at Missoula Bone & Joint’s outpatient surgery center on Mullan Road in Missoula, Montana. Arthroscopic surgery is used to relieve pain, improve joint stability, remove loose bodies within the joint, repair labral tears, and delay the onset of osteoarthritis and possibly delay the need for a total joint replacement. Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure that allows your surgeon to see the structures inside your joint utilizing small incisions and minimally invasive techniques. A small camera, called an arthroscope, is inserted into one incision and the surgical instruments are inserted into another incision. The camera displays images on a video monitor which your surgeon uses in real time to guide the surgical repair. Common arthroscopic surgeries include rotator cuff repair, ACL knee reconstruction, shoulder labral repairs, hip labral repairs, knee meniscus repairs, to name a few. Dr. Wright lives in Missoula with his wife and three children. He volunteers his time as part of the sports medicine team providing medical coverage at Hellgate High School. To read what patients are saying about the quality orthopedic care they have received from Dr. Wright please scroll further down this page.
Medical School: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle WA 2007-2011
Internship: University of Vermont, Burlington VT, 2011-2012
Residency: University of Vermont, Burlington VT, 2012-2016
Fellowship: Sports Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2016-2017
Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
State Licensed: Montana, California
Joined Practice: 2017
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons Board
- Arthroscopy association of North America
If you were a patient with Dr. Wright at St. Joseph Medical Clinic in Polson, please schedule any future appointments at our Missoula clinic (406)721-4436.
ESPN Radio Sports Medicine Journal
Once a month Dr. Wright joins Colter Nuanez of ESPN Missoula on “Nuanez Now”. It is an informative show that discusses a variety of sports injuries that afflict athletes. Dr. Wright analyzes diagnoses, severity, repair, recovery and much more.
In this episode, hear the first three editions of the Sports Medicine Journal where Colter and Dr. Wright talk about ACL injuries, high ankle sprains and compound fractures to the lower leg.
IN OUR COMMUNITY
Sports Medicine Coverage: Dr. Wright is providing sports medicine coverage for Hellgate High School in the 2020/2021 school year, working closely with Paul Capp, LAT, Hellgate Athletic Trainer.
Hobbies/Personal Interests: Hiking, backpacking, skiing, hunting, fishing, hanging out with my wife and three children.
Get to know your doc!
- What is your most interesting orthopedic experience? Taking care of the NBA Los Angeles Lakers during fellowship at UCLA was a phenomenal experience. Being able to meet the players and take care of their medical needs on a daily basis was an experience I will always cherish. The player’s level of athleticism on the court is remarkable, and it was fun to get a behind the scenes look at taking care of professional athletes.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Wright MP, Michelson JM. Easily Missed? Lisfranc Injuries. British Medical Journal. 347:1-38. No 7928. October 2013.
- Minehan KJ, Brown PD, Scheithauer BD, Wright MP, Krauss WE. Prognosis and Treatment of Spinal Cord Astrocytoma. Int. J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys. 1;73(3):727-33, March 2009.
- Wright MP, Gross T. The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats. Abstract. Journal of Investigative Medicine, Vol. 57(1),435, January 2009.
- Michelson JD, Wright MP, Blankstein M. Syndesmotic Ankle Fractures: A Systematic Review. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma, Vol.32(1):10-14, January 2018.
- Bartlett CS, Wright MP, Monier B, Lesiak A. Management of Gunshot Wounds. Encyclopedia of Trauma Care. Springer publishing, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA. 2015.
- Silverman A, Russell G, feat. Wright MP, Michelson JM. Sharing in Vermont: Committee a ‘conduit’ for goodwill. USA Today. November 27, 2012. 4A. Print
- Sutkoski M, Russell G, feat. Wright MP, Michelson JM. Helping Homeless Walk in the Winter. Burlington Free Press. November 22, 2012. 1B. Print
- Wright MP “Evaluation and Mangement of Hamstring Injuries in Athletes” Missoula Bone & Joint, Montana Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting, Big Sky, MT, January 2018
- Wright MP, Sai Davana B.S, James Chen MD, Andrew Jensen MD, Anthony D’Oro B.S, Frank Petrigliano MD “The Prevalence of Consecutive Procedures Among Patients with Both Shoulder and Cervical Spine Pathology” University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Orthopedic Surgery Sports Medicine Conference. June 28th, 2017
- Wright MP, Argentieri E, Sturnick D, Gardner-Morse M, Tourville T, Johnson RJ, DeSarno M, Slauterbeck J, Beynnon B. “Tibial Plateau Articular Cartilage Thickness Changes 4-5 years after ACL injury” University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, Department of Orthopedic Surgery Resident Research Day, June 17th, 2016.
- Wright MP, Gross TS. “The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats” Western Student Medical Research Forum, Carmel, CA, University of Washington School of Medicine, p.435. January 2009.
- Minehan KJ, Brown PD, Scheithauer BD, Wright MP, Krauss WE. Prognosis and Treatment of Spinal Cord Astrocytoma. American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. November 2007.
- Argentiere E, Sturnick D, DeSarno M, Gardner-Morse M, Tourville T, Wright MP, Slauterbeck J, Johnson R, Beynnon R. Within subject changes to tibial articular cartilage thickness 4-5 years post ACL-injury. Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Las Vagas, NV. March 2015.
- Wright MP, Poliachik SL, Bremner S, Ward S, Minamoto V, Gross TS. The effects of muscle paralysis on tibial bone structure at one month and one year in skeletally mature rats. Medical Student Poster Session, Seattle, WA, University of Washington School of Medicine. November 17 2008.
- Wright MP, Teintze M, Wilkinson R, Brewer J, Driggers C. Using NGAL to Mimick the CD4 Binding Site on gp120. Undergraduate Scholars Program Poster Session. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, April 2006.