SPORTS PHYSICAL OR PRE-PARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION (PPE) AT MISSOULA BONE & JOINT
Sports Physical in Missoula, Montana
The purpose of the Sports Physical or Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (PPE) is to identify athletes that may be at risk for further injury or illness and to refer these athletes for additional medical evaluation prior to allowing them to participate. The specific purposes include the following:
- To identify athletes at risk of sudden death
- To identify medical conditions that may require further evaluation and treatment before participation
- To identify orthopedic conditions that may require further evaluation and treatment, including physical therapy, before participation
- To satisfy legal requirements of athletic governing boards
Dr. Rob Amrine is a primary care sports medicine provider and offers sports physical evaluations at Missoula Bone & Joint to supplement annual preventive care exams done by your primary care physician. He spends time with the athlete, completing a physical evaluation, but he also educates them on the social challenges of being an athlete. Please keep in mind that the sports physical offered by Dr. Amrine should not replace your ‘well child’ visit that assesses other health conditions not related to sports, vaccinations etc.
Getting a sports physical every year may seem repetitive and an inconvenience of time and money. The truth is, it is set in place to protect our young athletes and keep them safe in the playing arena. It is important that you choose a primary care provider that you trust to give a thorough examination.
Two parts to a Sports Physical
1. Family Medical History – Looking at patterns of illness in your family can give important information about what you may encounter during your sporting endeavors. Please take time to answer the questions carefully on this Montana High School Pre-participation exam form, and bring the completed form with you to your appointment. You can be honest because it’s unlikely that your answers will prevent you from playing your sports.
2. Physical Examination – Come prepared to talk to your doctor about ongoing or recent pain or symptoms that you’re experiencing or any other health concerns you might have. Your doctor can help you navigate ways for you to become a stronger athlete and give you ideas for avoiding injuries.
Please call your health insurance carrier to verify your benefits regarding a sports physical, especially if your child has or is also scheduled for a well-child visit with their PCP (Primary Care Physician). Missoula Bone & Joint also offers a self-pay option for a sports physical with Dr. Amrine.
For more information about PPE please contact Dr. Amrine's assistant, Becca, at (406) 532-8783, or your school’s Athletic Trainer.
To schedule a PPE with Dr. Amrine please call our clinic (406)721-4436.
Here is the Montana Pre-Participation Physical Form that you will need to fill in and go over with your physician. To save time please print and fill in before you come to your appointment.